Current echocardiography evaluation of right ventricular (RV) function, which heralds the prognosis in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE), is of limited utility. The non-invasive pressure–strain loop (PSL), an emerging technique, has been found to feasible, sensitive and accurate in the diagnosis of cardiovascular diseases. The aim of this study was to quantitatively evaluate, using the non-invasive PSL, the right ventricular myocardial work (RVMW) in SLE patients.
Seventy-five SLE patients were recruited and grouped by pulmonary artery systolic pressure (PASP) into normal (group A, N = 26), mild (group B, N = 22) and moderate to severe (group C, N = 27) groups. Twenty-five healthy volunteers undergoing physical examination were recruited as the control group. Right ventricular global myocardial work index (RVGWI), global constructive work (RVGCW), global wasted work (RVGWW), global work efficiency (RVGWE), global longitudinal strain (RVGLS) and other conventional parameters were measured.
There were no differences between group A and the control group with respect to RVLS, RVGLS and all RVMW parameters (all p values > 0.05). RVGWI and RVGCW significantly differed among the other groups (all p values < 0.05). RVGWE was significantly lower and RVGWW was significantly higher in group C than in the control group and groups A and B (all p values < 0.05). Compared with the control group, RVGWW was significantly increased and RVGLS was significantly decreased in group B (all p values < 0.05). All but one RVMW parameter moderately to strongly correlated with SLE disease activity index (SLEDAI) and World Health Organization Functional Class (WHO-FC). RVGWW (area under the receiver operating characteristic curve [AUC] = 0.893) and RVGWE (AUC = 0.877) were sensitive parameters in detecting earlier cardiac dysfunction in SLE patients.
RVGWW and RVGWE serve as sensitive and promising parameters in the integrative analysis of early right ventricular dysfunction in SLE patients. To conclude, non-invasive PSL, the novel method, facilitates the quantitative assessment of RVMW in SLE patients.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Update on the diagnosis and management of systemic lupus erythematosus.Ann Rheum Dis. 2021; 80: 14-25
- Pulmonary hypertension in systemic lupus erythematosus: a systematic review and analysis of 642 cases in Chinese population.Rheumatol Int. 2013; 33: 1211-1217
- Early assessment of right ventricular function in systemic lupus erythematosus patients using strain and strain rate imaging.Arq Bras Cardiol. 2018; 111: 75-81
- Recommendations for cardiac chamber quantification by echocardiography in adults: an update from the American Society of Echocardiography and the European Association of Cardiovascular Imaging.J Am Soc Echocardiogr. 2015; 28 (1–39.e14)
- Speckle tracking echocardiography in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus: a meta-analysis.Eur J Intern Med. 2020; 73: 16-22
- A novel clinical method for quantification of regional left ventricular pressure-strain loop area: a non-invasive index of myocardial work.Eur Heart J. 2012; 33: 724-733
- Right ventricular myocardial work: proof-of-concept for non-invasive assessment of right ventricular function.Eur Heart J Cardiovasc Imaging. 2021; 22: 142-152
- Value of non-invasive pressure-strain loop for assessing right heart function and prognosis in patients with pulmonary arterial hypertension.Int J Cardiovasc Dis. 2021; 48: 306-311
- 2019 European League Against Rheumatism/American College of Rheumatology classification criteria for systemic lupus erythematosus.Ann Rheum Dis. 2019; 78: 1151-1159
- Diagnosis and assessment of pulmonary arterial hypertension.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2009; 54: S55-S66
- 2015 ESC/ERS Guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of pulmonary hypertension. The Joint Task Force for the Diagnosis and Treatment of Pulmonary Hypertension of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC) and the European Respiratory Society (ERS): Endorsed by: Association for European Paediatric and Congenital Cardiology (AEPC), International Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation (ISHLT).Eur Respir J. 2015; 46: 1855-1856
- Systemic lupus erythematosus disease activity index 2000.J Rheumatol. 2002; 29: 288-291
- Echocardiographic right ventricular strain from multiple apical views is superior for assessment of right ventricular systolic function.Clin Physiol Funct I. 2019; 39: 168-176
- Correlations among noninvasive right ventricular myocardial work indices and the main parameters of systolic and diastolic functions.J Clin Ultrasound. 2022; 50: 873-884
- Cardiovascular disease in systemic lupus erythematosus: recent data on epidemiology, risk factors and prevention.Curr Vasc Pharmacol. 2020; 18: 549-565
- Prevalence of pulmonary hypertension in systemic lupus erythematosus: a meta-analysis.Ir J Med Sci. 2018; 187: 723-730
- Right ventricular adaptation and failure in pulmonary arterial hypertension.Can J Cardiol. 2015; 31: 391-406
- Guidelines for the echocardiographic assessment of the right heart in adults: a report from the American Society of Echocardiography endorsed by the European Association of Echocardiography, a registered branch of the European Society of Cardiology, and the Canadian Society of Echocardiography.J Am Soc Echocardiogr. 2010; 23 (quiz 86–8): 685-713
- Subclinical right ventricle systolic dysfunction in childhood-onset systemic lupus erythematosus: insights from two-dimensional speckle-tracking echocardiography.Lupus. 2015; 24: 613-620
- Evaluation of right ventricular myocardial mechanics by 2- and 3-dimensional speckle-tracking echocardiography in patients with an ischemic or non-ischemic etiology of end-stage heart failure.Front Cardiovasc Med. 2022; 9765191
- Three-dimensional echocardiography and 2D-3D speckle-tracking imaging in chronic pulmonary hypertension: diagnostic accuracy in detecting hemodynamic signs of right ventricular (RV) failure.J Am Heart Assoc. 2015; 4e001584
- Right ventricular mechanics using a novel comprehensive three-view echocardiographic strain analysis in a normal population.J Am Soc Echocardiogr. 2014; 27: 413-422
- Comprehensive assessment of right ventricular function in patients with pulmonary hypertension with global longitudinal peak systolic strain derived from multiple right ventricular views.J Am Soc Echocardiogr. 2014; 27 (657–65.e3)
- Non-invasive myocardial work index identifies acute coronary occlusion in patients with non-ST-segment elevation-acute coronary syndrome.Eur Heart J Cardiovasc Imaging. 2015; 16: 1247-1255
- A new approach to assess myocardial work by non-invasive left ventricular pressure-strain relations in hypertension and dilated cardiomyopathy.Eur Heart J Cardiovasc Imaging. 2019; 20: 31-39
- Early detect left ventricular subclinical myocardial dysfunction in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus by a left ventricular pressure-strain loop.Lupus. 2022; 31: 596-605
- A novel non-invasive and echocardiography-derived method for quantification of right ventricular pressure-volume loops.Eur Heart J Cardiovasc Imaging. 2021; 23: 498-507
- The relationship between the right ventricle and its load in pulmonary hypertension.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2017; 69: 236-243
- Right ventricular function is associated with quality of life in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus associated pulmonary arterial hypertension.Heart Lung Circ. 2019; 28: 1655-1663
- Relationship between systemic lupus erythematosus disease activity index scores and subclinical cardiac problems.Iran Red Crescent Med J. 2016; 18: e38045
- Systemic lupus erythematosus and cardiovascular disease.Cureus. 2022; 14: e22027
- Frequent activation delay-induced mechanical dyssynchrony and dysfunction in the systemic right ventricle.J Am Soc Echocardiogr. 2016; 29: 1074-1083
- Myocardial work and Takotsubo syndrome: stress affects work.Int J Cardiovasc Imaging. 2022; 38: 1807-1812
Published online: February 13, 2023
Accepted: December 17, 2022
Received in revised form: December 8, 2022
Received: October 23, 2022
© 2023 Published by Elsevier Inc. on behalf of World Federation for Ultrasound in Medicine & Biology.