The potential of transcranial magnetic resonance (MR)–guided histotripsy for brain applications has been described in prior in vivo studies in the swine brain through an excised human skull. The safety and accuracy of transcranial MR-guided histotripsy (tcMRgHt) rely on pre-treatment targeting guidance. In the work described here, we investigated the feasibility and accuracy of using ultrasound-induced low-temperature heating and MR thermometry for histotripsy pre-treatment targeting in ex vivo bovine brain.
A 15-element, 750-kHz MRI-compatible ultrasound transducer with modified drivers that can deliver both low-temperature heating and histotripsy acoustic pulses was used to treat seven bovine brain samples. The samples were first heated to an approximately 1.6°C temperature increase at the focus, and MR thermometry was used to localize the target. Once the targeting was confirmed, a histotripsy lesion was generated at the focus and visualized on post-histotripsy MR images.
The accuracy of MR thermometry targeting was evaluated with the mean/standard deviation of the difference between the locus of peak heating identified by MR thermometry and the center of mass of the post-treatment histotripsy lesion, which was 0.59/0.31 mm and 1.31/0.93 mm in the transverse and longitudinal directions, respectively.
This study determined that MR thermometry could provide reliable pre-treatment targeting for transcranial MR-guided histotripsy treatment.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- A pilot study of focused ultrasound thalamotomy for essential tremor.N Engl J Med. 2013; 369: 640-648
- Magnetic resonance-guided focused ultrasound treatment for essential tremor shows sustained efficacy: a meta-analysis.Neurosurg Rev. 2022; 45: 533-544
- Transcranial magnetic resonance imaging-guided focused ultrasound surgery of brain tumors: initial findings in 3 patients.Neurosurgery. 2010; 66: 323-332
- What holds focused ultrasound back?.World Neurosurg. 2016; 91: 661-665
- In vivo histotripsy brain treatment.J Neurosurg. 2019; 131: 1331-1338
- Transcranial magnetic resonance-guided histotripsy for brain surgery: pre-clinical investigation.Ultrasound Med Biol. 2022; 48: 98-110
- Effects of tissue mechanical properties on susceptibility to histotripsy-induced tissue damage.Phys Med Biol. 2014; 59: 253-270
- Imaging feedback of tissue liquefaction (histotripsy) in ultrasound surgery.Proc IEEE Ultrason Symp. 2005; 3: 1732-1734
- Transcranial MR-guided histotripsy system.IEEE Trans Ultrason Ferroelectr Freq Control. 2021; 68: 2917-2929
- Comparison of noninvasive high-intensity focused ultrasound with radiofrequency ablation of osteoid osteoma.J Pediatr. 2017; 190: 222-228
- Volumetric feedback ablation of uterine fibroids using magnetic resonance-guided high intensity focused ultrasound therapy.Eur Radiol. 2012; 22: 411-417
- Pain palliation in patients with bone metastases using magnetic resonance-guided focused ultrasound with conformal bone system: a preliminary report.Yonsei Med J. 2015; 56: 503-509
- Leiomyoma shrinkage after MRI-guided focused ultrasound treatment: report of 80 patients.Am J Roentgenol. 2010; 194: 274-280
- Magnetic resonance-guided focused ultrasound in neurosurgery: taking lessons from the past to inform the future.J Korean Med Sci. 2018; 33: e279
- Noninvasive MRI thermometry with the proton resonance frequency (PRF) method: in vivo results in human muscle.Magn Reson Med. 1995; 33: 74-81
- MR thermometry.J Magn Reson Imaging. 2008; 27: 376-390
- Magnetic resonance thermometry and its biological applications: physical principles and practical considerations.Prog Nucl Magn Reson Spectrosc. 2019; 110: 34-61
- Clinical, noninvasive, MR imaging monitored ultrasound surgery method.Radiographics. 1996; 16: 185-195
- MR-guidance of HIFU therapy.in: Proceedings, 31st Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society: Engineering the Future of Biomedicine (EMBC 2009). IEEE, New York2009: 141-144
- MR-guided focused ultrasound pallidotomy for Parkinson's disease: safety and feasibility.J Neurosurg. 2021; 135: 792-798
- Magnetic resonance acoustic radiation force imaging.Med Phys. 2008; 35: 3748-3758
- Ultrasound focusing using magnetic resonance acoustic radiation force imaging: application to ultrasound transcranial therapy.Med Phys. 2010; 37: 2934-2942
- Optimization of encoding gradients for MR-ARFI.Magnetic Reson Med. 2010; 63: 1050-1058
- Rapid MR-ARFI method for focal spot localization during focused ultrasound therapy.Magn Reson Med. 2011; 65: 738-743
- MR-guided adaptive focusing of therapeutic ultrasound beams in the human head.Med Phys. 2012; 39: 1141-1149
- Butts Pauly K. High sensitivity MR acoustic radiation force imaging using transition band balanced steady-state free precession.Magn Reson Med. 2018; 79: 1532-1537
- Evaluation of a three-dimensional MR acoustic radiation force imaging pulse sequence using a novel unbalanced bipolar motion encoding gradient.Magn Reson Med. 2016; 76: 803-813
- Conjugate phase MRI reconstruction with spatially variant sample density correction.IEEE Trans Med Imaging. 2005; 24: 325-336
- The response of MRI contrast parameters in in vitro tissues and tissue mimicking phantoms to fractionation by histotripsy.Phys Med Biol. 2017; 62: 7167-7180
Published online: February 18, 2023
Accepted: December 16, 2022
Received in revised form: December 8, 2022
Received: July 1, 2022
© 2022 World Federation for Ultrasound in Medicine & Biology. All rights reserved.