Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Rationale and derivation of MI and TI —A review.Ultrasound Med Biol. 1999; 25: 431-442
AIUM 1999. Official Statements and Reports of the American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine. http://www.aium.org/stmts.htm.
AIUM Medical ultrasound safety. AIUM Publications, 1994 American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine, 14750 Sweitzer Lane, Suite 100, Laurel, MD 20707, USA.
AIUM Safety Considerations for Diagnostic Ultrasound. Bioeffects Committee of the American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine. 1991 AIUM Publications, 14750 Sweitzer Lane, Suite 100, Laurel, MD 20707, USA
AIUM website. http://www.aium.org/
AIUM/NEMA. Standard for Real-Time Display of Thermal and Mechanical Acoustic Output Indices on Diagnostic Ultrasound Equipment. American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine, 14750 Sweitzer Lane, Suite 100, Laurel, MD 20707, USA.
- International perspectives on safety and standardisation of diagnostic pulsed ultrasound in medicine.Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol. 1993; 3: 287-294
- Is diagnostic ultrasound safe?.Current international consensus on the thermal mechanism. Med J Australia. 1994; 160: 33-37
- The sensitivity of biological tissue to ultrasound.Ultrasound Med Biol. 1997; 23: 805-812
- Current status of research on biophysical effects of ultrasound.Ultrasound Med Biol. 1994; 20: 205-218
- Lung damage from exposure to pulsed ultrasound.Ultrasound Med Biol. 1990; 16: 817-825
- Acoustic output of modern ultrasound equipment.in: Barnett S.B Kossoff G Safety of diagnostic ultrasound. Parthenon Publishing Group, New York1998: 15-26
- Acoustic saturation and output regulation.Ultrasound Med Biol. 1999; 25: 1009-1018
ECURS European Committee for Ultrasound Radiation Safety, Tutorial paper on Transvaginal ultrasonography - safety aspects. Eur J Ultrasound 1994;1:355–357.
- Tours, France, March 1998.Eur J Ultrasound. 1998; 8: 67-68
EFSUMB European Federation of Societies for Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology, Guidelines for the safe use of Doppler ultrasound for clinical applications. Report from the European Committee for Ultrasound Radiation Safety. Eur J Ultrasound 1995; 2:167–68.
EFSUMB Tutorial paper: Thermal and mechanical indices. European Committee for Ultrasound Radiation Safety. Eur J Ultrasound 1996; 4:145–50.
EFSUMB website, http://www.efsumb.org/safstat.htm
FDA Revised 510(k) diagnostic ultrasound guidance for 1993. Centre for Devices and Radiological Health, US Food and Drug Administration 1993 Rockville, MD.
FDA 510(k) Guide for Measuring and Reporting Acoustic Output of Diagnostic Ultrasound. 1985 Food and Drug Administration, Centre for Devices and Radiological Health, Rockville, M.D. (1992 updated Draft document).
- Cerebral lateralization.Biological mechanisms, associations, and pathology: 1. A hypothesis and a program for research. Arch Neurol. 1985; 42: 428-459
- A review of the acoustic output of modern diagnostic ultrasound equipment.BMUS Bulletin. 1997; 5: 10-14
- A survey of the acoustic outputs of diagnostic equipment in current clinical use.Ultrasound Med Biol. 1995; 21: 699-705
- Ultrasound Bioeffects.in: Goldman L.W Fowlkes J.B Medical CT and Ultrasound Current Technology and Applications. Advanced Medical Publishing, Madison, Wisconsin1995: 211-228
IEC 1157 Requirement for the declaration of acoustic output of medical diagnostic equipment. Standard 1157 Geneva, International Electrotechnical Commission, 1992.
- Routine ultrasound screening in pregnancy and children’s subsequent handedness.Early Human Dev. 1998; 50: 233-245
- Effects of frequent ultrasound during pregnancy.Lancet. 1993; 2: 887-891
Salvesen KA Epidemiological studies of diagnostic ultrasound. In: ter Haar G, Duck FA, eds. The safe use of ultrasound in medical diagnosis. Br Med Ultrasound Soc/Br Inst Radiol. BIR Publications, London, U.K. 2000.
- Ultrasound during pregnancy and birthweight, childhood malignancies and neurological development.Ultrasound Med Biol. 1999; 25: 1025-1031
- Ultrasound during pregnancy and subsequent childhood non-righthandedness.Ultras Obstet Gynecol. 1999; 13: 241-246
- Routine ultrasonography in utero and subsequent handedness and neurological development.Br Med J. 1993; 307: 159-164
- Diagnostic X-ray and ultrasound exposure and risk of childhood cancer.Br J Cancer. 1994; 70: 531-536
- Pregnancy ultrasound and childhood cancer.Br J Obstet Gynecol. 1995; 102: 831-832
- Effects of ultrasound exposure on fetal development in animal models.in: Barnett S.B Kossoff G Safety of diagnostic ultrasound. Parthenon Publishing Group, New York1998: 39-51
WFUMB website. http://www.wfumb.org.au/reports.htm
WFUMB World Federation for Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology Symposium on Safety and Standardisation in Medical Ultrasound: Issues and recommendations regarding thermal mechanisms for biological effects of ultrasound. Barnett SB, Kossoff G. eds. Ultrasound in Med Biol special issue Vol. 18, 1992.
WFUMB World Federation for Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology Symposium on Safety of Ultrasound in Medicine: Conclusions and Recommendations on Thermal and Non-Thermal Mechanisms for Biological Effects of Ultrasound. (Barnett SB, ed.) Ultrasound Med Biol 1998; 24:1–55.
Whittingham TA. Acoustic outputs of diagnostic machines. In: ter Haar G, Duck FA, eds. The safe use of ultrasound in medical diagnosis. Br Med Ultrasound Soc/Br Inst Radiol. Br Institute Radiol, London, 2000 BMUS.
☆The authors of this paper are members of safety committees of the World Federation for Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology (WFUMB), the European Federation of Societies for Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology (EFSUMB), the Australasian Society for Ultrasound in Medicine (ASUM) and the American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine (AIUM). They also serve on expert committees concerned with developing international safety standards for the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC).